1948-1992 (inclusive) 1987-1992 (bulk)
2.85 cubic feet; approx. 1200 prints and 8950 negatives
The Communication Media Center (CMC) Photographic Collection consists primarily of portrait photographs of more than 2200 OSU faculty, staff, and students taken by CMC photographers in the late 1980s and early 1990s. It also includes images of OSU students and staff participating in radio and television demonstrations, classroom television projects, and broadcasts for KOAC and KBVR during the 1950s and 1960s.
The collection consists of two components. The first includes individually numbered prints (P119:1-124). The second component (accession 96:054) consists of un-numbered portrait photographs (negatives and prints) arranged alphabetically by the individual's last name. All 4x5 b/w negatives are stored separately in 4x5 negative boxes.
The predominant form in the collection is 4x5 b/w negatives; there are also about 1200 prints and one color negative. For the portrait photographs (accession 96:054), the collection includes negatives for all the individuals listed (unless indicated otherwise by prints only on the inventory). If the collection includes both negatives and prints, this is indicated on the inventory. The selected pose is sometimes indicated by a clipped corner on the negative.
Photographic services have been provided at OSU since the 1890s. Emile Pernot was hired by Oregon Agricultural College in 1890 to teach photography and to take photographs for the Experiment Station. During the 1924/25 academic year, a formal photographic services unit was established within the Physics Department by John Garman, a Physics Department faculty member who taught photography classes and performed photography for other campus departments.
The Instructional Resources and Materials Center (IRAM) was established in 1965 to provide educational media services such as film ordering; audio-visual equipment rental; and art and photographic services. However, a separate photographic services unit (primarily for non-instructional uses) continued to operate through at least the early 1970s. The Classroom Television Center was officially established in 1966 to support various instructional and promotional uses of television, which had been developing on campus since the mid-1950s. In 1982, IRAM was combined with the Classroom Television to become the Communication Media Center (CMC).
Portrait photographs of faculty and staff can also be found in the Faculty and Staff (P 46), News and Communications Services (P 57), President's Office (P 92), Extension and Experiment Station Communications (P 120), and Bill Reasons (P 151) Photographic Collections as well as Harriet's Collection.
1 document box on Photographic Collections shelves
2/3/8 (10 4x5 negative boxes)