James F. Bishop Papers, 1940-1956
Bishop, James Franklin, 1912 -
0.5 cubic feet
The James F. Bishop Papers were donated by Bishop in 1987.
The collection consists of six series. Series one includes manuscripts
written by Bishop and others. Series two is comprised of reference
data, including lists of rabbits for sale, 4-H project notes,
potential 4-H members, and 4-H ideas. Series three consists of
event records for staff meetings, 4-H leaders' meetings, 4-H members'
meetings, and various 4-H activities. Series four includes correspondence
including promotional letters, family award criteria, Chamber
of Commerce activities, and proposal for a new City Hall in Salem.
Series five consists of reports, including a plan of work for
boys and girls 4-H clubs; notes and drafts from annual reports
and monthly reports. Primarily, the papers were created while
Bishop was City Extension Agent in Salem, Oregon. Series six consists
of ephemera including an embroidered patch with the name "Jim"
on it, and a plaque of a Guernsey cow and calf.
James Franklin Bishop was born 5 September
1912 at Tigard, Oregon. He graduated from Oregon State Agricultural College
in 1934 with a B.S. degree in Agricultural Technology. As a student at OSAC
, Bishop was affiliated with Alpha Gamma Rho. In 1933, he was a charter member
of the Phi Sigma, a recognition society in biology.
Between 1943 and 1955 Bishop served as Assistant County Agent in Coos County (1943-1944), County Club Agent in Marion County (1944-1947), Umatilla County Club Agent (1947-1949), and as the first City Extension Agent for Salem (1949-1955). Bishop then became a County Extension Agent at Large, a position he held until he resigned in September 1956 to become Public Relations Officer for George Fox College in Newberg. Later, he was employed by the Tigard School District. He was married to Elizabeth O. Bishop, and died July 22, 1997.
The 4-H Photograph Collection contains eight photographs (P
146:3512-3519) donated by Bishop; there is a photograph of Bishop
in the Presidents' Office Photographs
Inventory ALIGN="BOTTOM"> Return to Manuscript Collections Page