The Photographs of John Garman
Flyer for Photography Classes, ca. 1925. An advertisement for classes in photography being taught through the Physics Department by John Garman and Ed Yunker.
John Garman was born in Urbana, Illinois, in 1896. When he was two, his family moved to Portland. After graduating from Benson Polytechnic High School in 1916, Garman enrolled at OAC. After his first year, he entered the Army and served as an instructor. After WWI, he returned to OAC, and completed his B.S. in Physics in 1922. In 1923, he became an instructor in Engineering. In 1924, Garman began teaching photography for the Physics Department, which he continued doing until his retirement in 1966. In 1969, he helped the Art Department set up classes when that department assumed the teaching of photography. In the 1920s, Garman, with Ed Yunker, established Photographic Services at OAC; Photographic Services is now part of OSU's Communication Media Center. In 1925, Garman married Florence Goff; they had three children. Garman passed away in November of 1989.
These images are thumbnails of representative photographs from the varied aspects of the John Garman Photographic Collection (P95). Click on the image to see a larger version.
This online exhibit was produced by Scott Zakon, a senior history major at OSU and a student intern in the OSU Archives during the Fall Quarter of 1996.